Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Better Late than Never…or Is It?


The IRS applies late penalties and interest on a case-by-case basis and will send a separate bill if penalties apply.  Because the IRS has the final word on penalties, I can't calculate the exact amount if your return is late, but I can supply some the info that will give you an idea of what to expect in certain scenarios.

Late filing penalties apply if you owe taxes and didn't file your return or extension by April 15, 2020.  In the case of interest, which is compounded daily, the late payment penalty is 0.5% of the additional tax owed amount for every month.  Interest starts accumulating on unpaid taxes one day after the due date of the return.

Maybe there is no good reason to file late (or at least properly apply for an extension).  Let’s find out together.  I am Las Vegas CPA and tax preparation professional Michael Mathews.  My office is located at the Lakes at 2620 Regatta Drive in the Northwest part of Vegas.  I serve the entire Valley.  Please call me at (702) 240 -5237.

No comments:

Post a Comment